Sunday, October 5, 2014

Paired Blocks # 28










Snail's Trail

Log Cabin





Snail's Trail and Log Cabin are two blocks that are made in a similar way. You start at the center and work your way out.
I wondered, what if these two blocks were paired up? So I set out to find out.



What if I join a Snail's Trail and a Log Cabin block to make a unit?

Then  what if I make a second unit, rotate it, and join it to the first to make a large block?

What if I repeat this large block to make a quilt?
What if I invert the colors that I used in my first attempt by replacing them with complementary colors?



What if I make a large block the same way I did in my first attempt, by try different colors?

What if in the first row I mirror-image the large blocks from side to side?

What if I repeat the first row in the remaining rows?

What if I use the first row from the last attempt but I change the background colors to black And grey?

What if, instead of repeating the rows, each row is the mirror-image of the previous one?
What if I make a unit and a mirror-image unit and join them to make a large block?

What if I repeat the large blocks to make a row?

What if each succeeding row faces the opposite direction?
What if I use the large block from the last attempt and color it differently?

What if I orient it horizontally then flip each block in a row 180 degrees?

What if each row is the mirror-image of the preceding one?
What if I place four units around a center square to make a large block?

What if I then repeat that block to make a quilt?












I like the way these two traditional blocks look together. I expect that they could be used in some very interesting ways that I haven't even thought of. Perhaps you can think of some.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great design read this morning. I love the way these two block interact with each other. My favorite is the red, orange, and white combination. In some of the designs, I'm seeing mustaches. Have a super day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer

    I can see the mustaches too. I also see the letter C, the letter S and squid. Or maybe they're spiders.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a tempting combination to play with! Love the moustaches, letters S and C, and another look at the moustaches reveals a W.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to play the "What if..?" game when my creative juices are flowing.

    ReplyDelete