Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Here's 3 Cats For You











Sometimes I start designing with a goal in mind. It doesn't happen often. Usually I just start playing and what happens, happens. But this time I wanted to make cats.


Caroll of Attic Window Quilt Shop started to make a quilt using tessellating blocks I had designed.  She put 2 blocks together and they looked like this. Sue said this looked like a cat.

The two blocks are the reverse of each other.
The basic block design looks like this.

Without even trying to, the 2 blocks manage to look something like a cat. I thought that if I refined the block it could look even more cat-like.
So I made the top ear smaller and made the tail more svelt, less stubby.
Then I moved the left hand section of the block to the right. Now the tail is on the left instead of in the middle.
Four blocks side by side make 3 cats. The fourth block is modified to get rid of extra space and an unnecessary tail.
Colored and assembled the 4 blocks look like this.

The final step before adding borders, is to applique a tongue and thread paint a face on to each of the cats.






It's not what I usually do. But it was fun. I hope you enjoy the cats.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, no, you caught me just in time. I just finished up a project and was going to work some more on that table topper you talked about above. Now I have to try these cats. They are darling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caroll

    Can't wait to see what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the cats! I have 4 so maby some day I will give this one a try. The kitty face is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicole

    If you do the cats, I'd love to see them.

    Meanwhile, I'm looking forward to seeing the tessellation you did.

    ReplyDelete