Monday, January 30, 2012

Sew Half-Rectangle Triangles

















Method 3


It's nice to have a choice. When you are sewing a block it's nice to be able to pick the method that's best suited to your talents and tastes.

I've shown you 2 methods of sewing half-rectangle triangles in my last 2 posts. Now, I'd like to show you a third method using freezer paper.

Assume that the block that starts this post is 6"x 6", finished size. Then the half-rectangle triangles are 2"x 4", finished size.

On the dull side of a sheet of freezer paper draw a 2"x 4" rectangle with a diagonal going from corner to corner.

Cut out the rectangle on the lines; do not add any allowance for seams.
Fold the rectangle along the diagonal and place the freezer paper shiny side down onto your first fabric, which should be right side up. Press the first triangle in place.

Leave space around the triangle for seam allowances.

Cut the triangle out of the fabric leaving a 1/4" seam allowance all the way around.

Place the second triangle shiny side down on the right side of your second fabric. Place it so that the fabric edges line up.

Press it in place.

Sew the 2 fabrics together with a 1/4" seam.



Trim around the rectangle leaving a 1/4" seam allowance.

Remove the freezer paper and press your seams. I press my seams open but you can do what you like best.


After the seams are pressed you will need to trim off the little bits of seam allowance that are left showing.

Added bonus: You can use the freezer paper rectangle over and over to make additional half-square triangles.

You may have noticed that the block at the start of this post is slightly different from those for my last 2 posts. I intentionally rotated each of the units in the block 180 degrees.
I wanted a second block that I could combine with the first. This gives me a chance to experiment with quilt designs, like this one, that use both blocks.





So there you go. The three methods I know for sewing half-rectangle triangles. There may be others. There probably are. If you know another one I'd be delighted to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment