Friday, August 19, 2011

What Do You See















When You Look At A New Block?

Do you see possibilities? Do you see potential? I wish I did, but I don't. When I looked at Kansas Troubles for the first time all I saw was a block I'd never seen before.

But that was no reason not to try playing with it to discover some of its hidden potential and possibilities.

I could have started by playing with how the block is colored.

But I always do that anyway.
I could have started by changing proportions to see what happens.

But I didn't
I decided to start by playing with the unit that repeats to make the block.

I wanted to see how many ways I could use that unit to create quilt designs.



Below are some of the designs I discovered:






















































































I've found I can't tell much about a block by just looking at it. I have to play with it before I can discover what it is capable of.

Have you played with any blocks lately to see what you can make?

2 comments:

  1. Wayne,

    Love the second and last ones! (And that is despite the fact that there are a lot of pointy bits which I rarely like at all!)

    When I see a new block, I see possibilities and potential ... in different colours, in moving the contrast within the block, in taking away some of the lines, or adding others, and how it might work with other blocks.

    Judy B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judy

    When I meet a new block I know that all the things you've mentioned are possible, so I know the block has potential.

    When I play with the block and make those changes, I am always surprised by the results. It's not until then that I actually see the possibilities.

    ReplyDelete