Friday, July 5, 2013

Swirl #1 A

How To Piece Linda


Yesterday I designed this block and named it for my wife Linda.


Today I figured out how I would piece it.










I decided to make it a 6" block. So each square in this grid is
1/2" x 1/2".




Sew the center as shown from 4 pieces, each cut 1 1/2" x 2 1/2".


Cut two strips 1 1/2" x 3 1/2"  of each color. Cut a 1"x 1" square of each color.

Sew the squares on the diagonal in the corner of a strip of the opposite color.

Trim a 1/4" seam allowance and fold back to make a triangle.

Sew a strip the same color as the triangle to the strip with the triangle as shown.

Sew a 2 1/2" x 3" rectangle on the diagonal to the above units as shown.

Trim a 1/4" seam allowance and fold back.

Sew a 2" x 2" square on the diagonal in the corner of each of the above units as shown.


Sew the above 2 units to the center unit as shown.


Add a 1 1/2" x 6 1/2" strip to either side as shown.

Sew 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" square on the diagonal in each corner. Trim a 1/4" seam allowance and fold back to make triangles.













I tried other ways of piecing this block. One even had fewer pieces. But this seemed the simplest way to me.

Linda says she's going to try this and make one of the designs from yesterdays post. She thought you might want to try one too.

10 comments:

  1. I am hoping you will continue with the design and share some quilt layouts using this block.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never mind, I found your post of designs for this block. Thanks. I think it would make a great border.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! Maybe I'll try this block... Just need some time to do it... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This block interests me, however that 1/2"square intimidates me. If I make 1 1/2" squares what size block will that make (Math escapes me).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks fabulous.I love it.Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Caroll

    The 1/2" square is only the grid size. The smallest piece in the block is cut 1" x 1".

    If you change the grid to 1" square then the block becomes 12" square and the smallest piece is cut 1 1/2" x 1 1/2".

    If you change the grid to 1 1/2" square then the block becomes 18" square and the smallest piece is cut 2" x 2".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I guess I didn't realize it was paper pieced, so your original size should work for me. Thanks for the suggestion on grid changes as I may use that too.

      Delete
  7. Kat & Sylke

    If you use the block I'd love to see a picture of what you do with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I sew it, I'll take a picture and tell you where to find it - but now I'm tempted to try swirl 2... ;)

      Delete
  8. Wayne you are such a sweetie!

    ReplyDelete