Monday, December 21, 2009

Playing with Piecing

Canada Goose

I found this free clip art image on the internet.


I want to use it to develop a pieced pattern.






First, I'll simplify it by converting it to an outline pattern and eliminating one of the geese.


My initial attempts to place seam lines are fairly straight forward.  The first seam separates the wings from the body.  The second separates the 2 wings.  The third separates the head and neck from the body.


A couple of seams separate one wing from the sky.  And a couple more separate the other wing.


I keep dividing pieces into smaller and smaller pieces until I reach a degree of detail that I am happy with and think I can sew.



When I delete the underlying image I am left with just my seam lines.

I've decided to take the easy way out and applique the foot.

When I add fabric colors to the image I see a Canada Goose.


I like this, but something about it doesn't feel right.  I'm going to leave it for a day or two.  Hopefully if I come to it with a fresh eye I'll spot the problem.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting to see how this was drawn, but I would use it as an applique.
    Judy B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judy

    You're right; the goose would make a great applique.

    But it's fun to experiment with piecing it too.

    ReplyDelete