Sunday, November 7, 2010

Piecing

Sawtooth Star

This quilt top design is from my 28 October 2010 post.

It is possible to piece this using only square and half-square triangles.
The grey lines in this drawing show where the seams would be if the quilt were pieced that way.

There are a lot of unnecessary seams.
What if I remove all the seams that join together two or more pieces of identical fabric?
The quilt top can then be broken down into a series of easy to sew blocks.
What if I sew this from the center out?

First I'll join the nine blocks in the center to form a large Nine Patch. Then I'll form strips from the other blocks and use them as if I were making a large Log Cabin.

This makes it easy to keep track of what I'm doing and to match seams.



For more piecing go to My Posts by Subject in the sidebar on the right and click on Piecing.

No comments:

Post a Comment