Friday, November 12, 2010

Quilting

Sawtooth Star

For me, the hardest part of designing a quilt is designing the quilting. However, this design from my 30 October 2010 post needs quilting; so here I go.
What if I emphasize the circular aspects of the design by stitching large blue circles?

This doesn't really emphasize the roundness; it doesn't fit in; and I'm at a loss as what to do next. Besides I don't think those large circles will be all that easy to sew.




What if I emphasize the yellows by outlining them with black stitching?

This doesn't appeal to me; I don't think it adds to the design.
What if I develop the yellow areas by stitching yellow straight line spirals?

This does add to the design; I like it.
What if I do the same for the grey areas?

I still like the idea.
What if I do the same for the blue areas?

I think I've taken this idea as far as it wants to go. Doing white spirals in the white areas would be overkill.

For the white areas I think a filler design such as stippling or pebbling would provide some contrast and work best.



For more Sawtooth Star designs go to My Posts by Subject in the sidebar on the right and click on Sawtooth Star.

No comments:

Post a Comment