Monday, March 15, 2010


Playing with Letters
















From My Pieced Alphabet:

Underwood Block

Underwood block is a simple straightforward block alphabet.  It does have some interesting characteristics however.


What if I build my letters on an 8 x 10 grid?

What if I construct diagonals in the simplest way possible? I'll do them on a 45 degree angle using the connector corner method.
In most alphabets the crossbar in the center of the M dips down a lot more than this.  This is legible and acceptible, but it's not customary and so it feels a bit odd.
What if I make the crossbar dip deeper?

The piecing, although similar, is a little more difficult that with the 45 degree angles above. If necessary this part of the letter could be paper pieced.
The result is an M that looks more conventional.  The result is worth the little extra effort.








For more lettering ideas go to My Posts by Subject in the sidebar on the right and click on Lettering

No comments:

Post a Comment