Thursday, April 15, 2010

Playing with Borders

Wonky Shoo Fly Quilt

I borrowed this quilt top, based on a wonky Shoo Fly block, from my 10 April 2010 post. I changed the colors a little.

It's time to add a border.
What if I use the wonky Shoo Fly block from the quilt as a corner stone?
What if I place the wonky Shoo fly corner stone so that the corner with the smallest square faces out?

What if I divide each border into 3 sections? I'll let the widths and the colors of the sections match the corresponding squares in the corner stones.
What if I place the wonky Shoo fly corner stone so that the corner with the largest square faces out?


What if I reverse the order of the colors in the corner stones?
What if I place the wonky Shoo fly corner stone so that the corner with the smallest square faces out?


What if I place the wonky Shoo fly corner stone so that the corner with the largest square faces out?


Of these 4 versions, I like this one best.  Although, I could play more with the order of the colors in the corner stones and borders and I might find something I like better.





For more border ideas go to MyPost by Subject in the sidebar on the right and click on Borders

2 comments:

  1. Wayne,

    I like the first one best, even though the width of the borders is inside out! I would have thought that the darkest border on the outside should be the widest.

    Judy B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judy

    I agree with you. I've changed my mind. The first one has a calm spaciousness that the last one lacks.

    I also like the dark reds and browns in the third one. I just think they are in the wrong order. There is no reason that the colors in the border need to match up with those in the cornerstones. I think if I were to change the order I might find success and true happiness.

    ReplyDelete