Saturday, September 18, 2010

Sashing

Log Cabin


I want to add sashing to this Log Cabin block.


What if I make the cornerstones black, the outside sashing strips black, and the inside strips white?

I like this but there is probably too much contrast for most people.


What if I change the white to brown?

This is easier on the eyes.


What if I reverse the brown and black?

Not so good. The black strips are unattached and floating. They look out of place.


What if I add black cornerstones?

This is better.


What if I change the  black to dark brown?

What if I put dark sashing strips by the dark half of the Log Cabin block, and light strips by the light half?

All the versions are very similar but I think I like this one best.






For more sashing ideas go to My Posts by Subject in the sidebar on the right and click on Sashing.

2 comments:

  1. Mmm, I like the one with the floating black strips. It danced and startles, and makes me keep looking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elsie

    Because you liked the one with the floating black strips, I took another look at it it to try to appreciate what you saw.

    I have a weakness for designs that break with tradition and this one does. It is unexpected and the unexpected grabs your attention.

    I confess that I judged it a little too harshly the first time around. However, that said, I have to admit it is still not my favorite version.

    But if it's yours, that's okay too.

    ReplyDelete