Sunday, July 4, 2010

Piecing

Tessellation


This is a quilt top that I designed in my 10 June 2010 post. It is a tessellation; it was designed using a single shape that was repeated over and over.


This is the tessellating shape that I used. I am not keen on making a bunch of these and then trying to sew them together. I need to find a better way to piece this.


The tessellating shape can be broken down further.

What if I break the entire quilt top into blocks of this size?




This is the result I get. I can see several blocks that repeat.

What if I count them and see how many different blocks this quilt needs?


Four blocks and two triangles are needed to make this quilt.



This is surprisingly few, considering how complex the pattern looks.


For more tessellations go to My Posts by Subject in the sidebar on the right and click on Tessellation.

2 comments:

  1. This is so pretty. I love the golds, and might use chocolate instead of black, but it is one of my favorites from all your designs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elsie

    Chocolate would be an excellent choice. There are a lot of nice dark chocolate fabrics on the market right now that would work well with this quilt.

    A few years ago I was looking for a dark chocolate to finish a quilt and couldn't find anything. My wife suggested using a dark purple instead and it worked amazingly well.

    ReplyDelete