Sunday, April 17, 2011

Don't Know Where You're Going?

Then You'll End Up Someplace Else.

That Could Be Fun!


























The nice thing about looking for new block designs is that you never know what you'll find.

Too many quilters think of quilt design as problem solving. Who needs more problems? Think of it as a treasure hunt and it becomes an adventure. New adventures are fun.

Come with me now on my latest adventure. It starts with a random design on a 3x3 grid.

What if 2 sizes of this very simple block are used.  The large block is 6" x 6"; the small block is 3" x 3".

What if the large block is combined with 5 of the small one like this?

The result is a new block that is 9" x 9".
What if 4 of the 9" block are combined rotated?

This wasn't planned and it wasn't expected; it just happened. It doesn't look anything like any block I've ever seen before. Ask me if I'm pleased!

What if 4 of the large design are combined reflected?

I think this is most unusual and very interesting.

What if the 9" blocks are rotated around a different corner?
What if this new design is simply repeated?
This is one way this design could be colored.
What if the 6" block and the 3" blocks are arranged differently?
 What if the new 9" block is combined rotated like this?
What if this new design is repeated?
This is one way this design could be colored.

What if, instead of rotating the second 9" block, it is combined reflected?
What if 4 of this design are combined to make a table runner?
This is one way this design could be colored.






Only 2 of the many possible 9" blocks where explored. And these 2 weren't explored fully. There is still a lot of treasure out there.

The simple fact is you'll never find treasure, if you never go looking for it. But if you go looking for it, you'll be surprised to discover that it's everywhere.

You need to ask yourself, "Would I like to find treasure of my very own? Am I ready for an adventure?"

2 comments:

  1. Wayne,

    The table runner looks lke a great border too!

    This is my sort of journey!

    Judy B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judy

    I like the idea of using the table runner design as a border. I wish I'd thought of it.

    ReplyDelete