Sunday, October 28, 2012

Ninepatch Pinwheel Quilt #3

Seven Persons




The design for Seven Persons started with a ninepatch grid. I asked:

What if I replace some of the squares with half-square triangles?

What if I color the ninepatch block like this?

What if I rotate 4 ninepatch blocks to make a pinwheel block, or rather, a ninepatch pinwheel block?

What if I connect up the loose ends of the pattern in the border?

What if I replace the red triangles with green ones all along the edges?

The answer to these questions is the quilt you see above.


What if I color my ninepatch block differently?

What if I put a different corner of my ninepatch block in the center of the ninepatch pinwheel block?

The answer to these question is the quilt you see on the right.

What if I color four ninepatch blocks differently so that they make this ninepatch pinwheel block?

What if I cap the ninepatch pinwheel blocks like this in the borders?

The answer to these questions is this quilt on the left.












Ninepatch pinwheel quilts offer all sorts of opportunities to a quilter. I'll try another one tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment