Friday, May 21, 2010


Playing with Colors

Ohio Star

What if I try various monochromatic color schemes for an Ohio Star block?



The first block uses 4 greens starting with the darkest in the center.

What if I repeat it 4 times?

I like the ghost images that appear and disappear in this pattern.


The second block uses 5 greens starting with the lightest in the center.

What if I repeat it 4 times?

There are ghost images here to; but also a greater emphasis on the vertical and horizontal bands.


The third bock uses 5 blues. The darkest are in the North East and South West corners; the lightest are in the North West And South East corners.

What if I repeat it 4 times?

This feels random; even though it's not.

What if I repeat the 4 block unit?

The pattern is more apparent now; but it lacks focus.  It does, however, have an interesting texture.

What if I repeat the 4 block unit, only this time rotate the units so that 4 light squares meet in the center?

This has a focus now, but it's not strong and I don't find it all that interesting.

The fourth block uses 7 purples arranged so that a medium purple is at the ends of the vertical and horizontal bands. The vertical bands grow darker as the near the center of the block; the horizontal bands grow lighter.


What if I repeat it 4 times, rotating the block 90 degrees each time?

This creates a basket weave, with vertical and horizontal bands appearing to pass over and under one another.

What if I repeat the 4 block unit?

The basket weave is pleasant but it lacks focus.  However, the large blank spaces are ideal for embroidery or some serious quilting.

I like this.





For more ideas on playing with colors go to My Posts by Subject in the sidebar on the right and click on Colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment