Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Playing with Quilting

Oh Susannah Quilt  (See also: 18 December 2009)







This quilt was designed using an Oh Susannah block.


How should I quilt it?



I see horizontal and vertical yellow bands that form a basket weave.

What if I give them greater definition using directional quilting?  I don't want to over-emphasize them, so I'll use a thread that's close in color but only slightly darker than the fabrics.

Leah Day's filler design Modern Art (See her blog: 365 Days of Free Motion Quilting Filler Designs) would work well in this case.



How can I emphasize the brown "strings"?

What if I sew 2 rows of dark brown stitching just in from either side of the "strings".











Now I need to fill in around the edges of the quilt top.

What if I fill the remaining light yellow spaces with rectangular spirals?











That just leaves the borders. I want to keep them simple so that they don't compete with the quilt top.

What if I sew a row of stitching just in from either side of each border?  I don't want to draw too much attention to the border so I'll keep the stitching as close to the fabric colors as I can.

2 comments:

  1. Like the quilting design ..... it does enough to add texture and interest without competing with the patchwork.
    Judy B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judy

    I'm just starting to get a feel for just how important quilting can be to a quilt. It can do a lot more than just stop the batting from slipping. It can be an important design element.

    ReplyDelete