Saturday, February 26, 2011

From My Alberta Series

Airdrie / King's Height




























Every block has the potential to be used many different ways. Yesterday I showed you one design based on my Airdrie block; today I'll show you another.


The Airdrie block is made by sewing together squares and rectangles. The triangles are made using the connector corner method - a square is placed on a rectangle and then sewn on the diagonal; excess fabric is trimmed off and the flap folded back.

When 4 Airdrie blocks are rotated, joined and colored as shown they form a larger Aidrie block.

12 of the larger Airdrie blocks are used in this design. Half of them are flipped so that they are mirror images of the original.

This design is busy; it needs a border that will compensate for that.


Extending the black to form a grid that the rest of the design seems to hang off of, solves the problem.



The 2 Airdrie quilt designs that I've shown you have very different borders. To see more border experiments go to My Posts by Subject in the sidebar on the right and click on Borders.

No comments:

Post a Comment