Monday, June 21, 2010











From My Pieced Alphabet:

Ogden

In many alphabets round letters, such as o, b, and p, are based on circles. I want to try an alphabet based on an octagon instead.

Most letters in this alphabet fit a 4 x 4 grid. However, letters with an ascender have an additional unit added to the top, and letters with descenders have a unit added to the bottom.




The illustration below shows how I determine the piecing for the t, step by step.








I chose the word "triple" to demonstrate the t in use.








Notice that the i, p, l, and e are all spaced 1 unit apart.








The t, on the other hand , is only half a unit from the r, which is only half a unit from the i. This is done to compensate for the large open spaces that are part of these letters.


Fot more examples from my alphabets go to My Post by Subject in the sidebar on the right and click on Lettering.

No comments:

Post a Comment