Monday, June 14, 2010















From My Pieced Alphabet:

Point McKay

Point McKay is an attempt to create an alphabet that has no horizontal strokes. All the strokes are verticals or diagonals.


This alphabet has a nice rythmn and is easy to space.

The "w" is one of the wider letters. I need to decide how I'm going to piece it.


The extra space above and below the "w" in the letter block allows this letter to match easily with others that have ascenders or descenders.


What if I divide the letter in two vertically and then divide each part in two diagonally?



What if I then separate the bottoms and the tops on the diagonal?


What if I separate the left vertical in each section and make one more diagonal separation?


One more vertical separation and I'm done.

To assemble the "w", I simply repeat these steps in the reverse order. First I sew together the pieces outlined in black. Then I sew together the pieces outlined in blue. Then the green. And finally the red.






For more alphabet ideas go to My Posts by Subject in the sidebar on the right and click on Lettering.

2 comments:

  1. Of course this intrigues me -- the idea and the name which includes my name!
    How did you come up with that name?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kay
    I've designed a lot of different pieced alphabets. It's not easy coming up with a name. So I cheat. I grab my map of Calgary (I live in Calgary) and look for a place name that might in some way,no matter how remotely, describe the alphabet. This particular alphabet is nothing if not pointy. Hence Point McKay.

    Besides any name with a "K" in it has to be a good one.

    ReplyDelete