Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Playing with Blocks

Empire Star Transformed

On 31 March 2010 I split an Empire block into 4 pieces and then reassembled the pieces to make a new block.


What if I take that new block, drain the color out of it and then recolor it differently?

It has been transformed yet again.




What happens when I repeat the block?

I like the colors; the pattern is pleasant and textural.

What if I rotate the block?

I get a checkerboard of ribbon pinwheels.

What if I reflect the block?

This time my checkerboard consists of figure eights; half of which are lying on their sides.



I like all three. This last one is the least busy of the three.




For more examples of playing with blocks see My Posts by Subject in the sidebar on the right and click on Blocks.

2 comments:

  1. OOOOO. That is really neat. I like the designs that come from putting those blocks together in different ways. Very cool idea to split a block apart and reassemble it. Yet another thing I've never thought of!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie

    Taking blocks apart and reassembing them can be interesting. You need to look for blocks that are symmetrical around both their horizontal and vertical axes. These can be divided into 4 identical pieces. You can then put the pieces together any way you like. Try several ways because some are better than others. Give it a try you might amaze yourself.

    ReplyDelete