Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Tessellation

On 24 April 2010, using only these two blocks, I created this tessellated quilt pattern.
Now I'd like to play with it some more and see what else I can find.
What if I start by reducing the pattern to an outline drawing?
The outline pattern is made from 4 identical blocks.
What if I drop one of these blocks into the very middle of the pattern?

The center of the new pattern now contains both the new block and some of the old pattern.
What if I take the altered block back out of the center?
What if I color it in again?

What if I combine 4 of this new block to make a quilt pattern?.

The result is this new tessellating pattern.

If you are wondering how I knew this was going to happen, the answer is, I didn't.  It came as  a complete surprise to me.  I started playing and there it was. 



For more playing with tessellations go to My Posts by Subject in the sidebar on the right and click on Tessellation.

No comments:

Post a Comment