Thursday, May 13, 2010

Playing with Piecing

Tesselated Block

I developed this tessellated block on 6 May 2010.

I need to decide how it should be pieced.
It is made from these 2 units rotated to make a pinwheel.
What if I divide the units into horizontal strips?
Each unit is made from seven pieces and the block uses 28 pieces.

What if I start with the entire block and try piecing it? Can I do it with fewer pieces and save myself some sewing?
What if I place horizontal seam lines top and bottom?

What if I divide the middle section into 3 sections, using 2 vertical seam lines?
What if I place a 3rd horizontal seam line through the middle?

What if I add 2 more vertical seam lines?
The block can be made using only 24 pieces and so save some sewing. However, the pieces are of varying sizes and shapes.

I prefer the 1st solution with more pieces. All the pieces can be cut from strips.  This will be faster and easier to cut, which will more than make up for the little extra sewing time.


For more examples of piecing go to My Posts by Subject in the sidebar on the right and click on Piecing.

1 comment:

  1. Wayne,
    Did you think about following the lines of the design? There are four large triangles at the corners. Then, four narrow strips would need only a small triangle added at one end. The middle is simply a four patch.

    ReplyDelete