Thursday, January 7, 2010

Playing with Blocks

Broken Dishes  


Broken Dishes Blocks are based on this outline pattern.





What if I start with a Broken dishes block and a Diamond in the Square block in outline form and use them in a  Ninepatch setting?


If I color the diamonds and part of the Broken Dishes blocks, I get this symmetrical pattern.

This has some potential.




What if I change the up-down, right-left symmetry to rotational symmetry by adding a medium blue to 2 corners in each of the Diamond in the Square blocks?

What should I try next?


What if I add a light blue adjacent to the medium blue?

This is beginning to look like something.




What if I complete the chain of blues with an even lighter blue?  Then I'll fill the background in a checkerboard fashion with 2 light tans.

I like the combination of symmetries in this motif.  And I think it can be used to create some interesting patterns.

2 comments:

  1. I like your attitude. Will be looking for your book when it comes out. Happy Quilting, Marj

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marj

    Thanks for the kind words.

    My book is about the design process and how simple it can be. It is about repeatedly asking 3 simple questions: "What if...?" "Do I like it?" and "Why?" In it I demonstrate the process by designing 6 quilts while the reader looks over my shoulder and eavesdrops on my thoughts.

    You'll have to let me know what you think of it after you've read it.

    ReplyDelete