Saturday, January 2, 2010

Playing with Borders

Card Trick Quilt  (See also: 30 December 2009)


This quilt motif was designed using a Card Trick block.







It needs a border.



What if I use this band from the center of the blocks to make my border?

I like the way the blocks tie into the border.  There is a nice unity to the design.

However, it feels a bit crowded to me. 

What if I put some white space between the blocks and the border?





This has a much more spacious feel to it.

There is lots of room to do some interesting quilting.

2 comments:

  1. I like the idea of the white border, but about half of what you have added. At the same time the quilter in me is thinking that it would be a challenge!
    Judy B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judy

    The white border is the same width as a Card Trick block. So it occupies as much space as 16 Card Trick blocks. I can see why you might think there is too much of it.

    The large white space appeals to me because of the possibilty of doing some quilting in it. I wonder if making the outside green border much larger would help put things back into balance.

    What do you think?

    ReplyDelete