Monday, January 25, 2010

Playing with Letters















From My Pieced Alphabet:

Crowchild

Crowchild is a simplified stencil alphabet.

Most letters in this alphabet have a heavy vertical stroke, a gap, and then another heavy vertical stroke. 

Some letters have horizontal gaps as well.


My first attempts seemed a bit awkward: but then I asked: What if I make the vertical strokes 2 different widths?

After that things went well.




For most letters the left vertical is heavier than the right.  However, some letters, J for example, work better if the heavier vertical is on the right.



After some experimenting I settled on 2" and 1 1/2" verticals with a 1/2" gap in between.

Horizontal grid lines are set 1" from the top and bottom, where 45 degree corner cuts occur.  Everything else is off the grid and is adjusted to suit the needs of particular letters.

No comments:

Post a Comment