Monday, December 27, 2010




From My Pieced Alphabet:

Altadore









It is obvious that the blue V above requires more pieces than the green one.

The green V is from my Altadore alphabet. The Altadore alphabet is an attempt to create a greatly simplified shadow alphabet and thereby minimize the number of pieces and the sewing time required to make it.








That simplification comes at a cost. Letters like S and E cast a great deal less shadow than letters like V and N. The black predominates over the white in the neighborhood of the V and N and so they lose some readability.







If, however, the shadow is made light and the letters made dark this becomes a very readable, attractive and useable alphabet.

As a quilter, pieced lettering was my first love. To see more samples of my letters go to My Posts by Subject in the sidebar on the right and click on Lettering.

No comments:

Post a Comment