Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Paired Blocks #3

Nine Patch & Drunkard's Path


These 2 motifs are made using only Nine Patch blocks and Drunkard's Path blocks.
What if I combine them?

I get a unit that looks something like a puzzle piece.
What if I combine 4 of the puzzle pieces?

This makes an interesting quilt design.
What if I change the white background to 2 tones of light blue?

On the other hand, what if I don't?
Instead, what if I change the black to a light blue?

This is okay but too flat for me.
What if I make the 4 blue Nine Patch blocks slightly darker, add 8 even lighter blue squares around the edges, and darken the purple pinwheels?

This is livelier.
What if I switch from blues to greens?

There is not a lot of difference. Either one is as good as the other. However, I'm partial to the green, so I'll stick with that for now.
What if I add green binding?

The dark green adds some contrast and improves the quilt. At the same time, I feel there's too much green.
What if I change the green binding to an accent border, add a second accent border in white, and then add purple binding?

There is a better balance between the purple and green.

In my opinion this make a most pleasant small table topper.



For other forays into the world of mixed blocks go to My Posts by Subject in the sidebar on the right and click on Mixed Blocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment